Advanced Crane Control using Magnetek Products
Magnetek is CRANE 1’s featured supplier for high technology control solutions for overhead cranes and hoists. Magnetek’s feature-packed remote controls help keep the operator safely away from the load while they easily operate all functions of their respective crane. Magnetek’s technology-packed Variable Frequency Drives allows precise control of the OEM or Magnetek VFD rated motors on the hoist, trolley, and bridge motions.
Magnetck’s anti-collision devices help protect lives and capital by ensuring that cranes stop before hitting each other or building obstructions, while Magnetek’s crane and hoisting brakes ensure that the crane and hoist will stop safely every time. In each of these product categories, Magnetek is considered as both a leader in safety as well as an innovator in great product design and advanced features.
Magnetek Radio Control Products Improve Crane Safety and Productivity
Magnetek offers several series of radio controls that suit different applications and needs.
- The Flex EX series are durable and rugged radios are ideal for use in hazardous location applications, including petrochemical operations, chemical plants, plane hangars, and industrial painting. Flexible and reliable, these systems are designed to be ergonomic and lightweight, and are available in 8 and 12 button style options to meet all your application needs.
- The ergonomically styled Flex Pro series incorporates the latest in proportional control technology in a lightweight, comfortably contoured, yet durable case. It’s available with several options to meet the needs of a variety of applications and industries.
- Magnetek’s innovative Flex VUE combines a graphic display with stepless or two-step technology in a lightweight, comfortably contoured handheld transmitter. It’s available with several options to meet the needs of a variety of applications and industries.
- Magnetek’s Flex Mini wireless control provides a cost-effective solution to the restrictive use of hardwired pendants. Small in size, the Flex Mini fits comfortably in the palm of your hand and incorporates the latest control technology in a lightweight, yet durable case. This low cost, easy-to-install transmitter is the perfect solution for a variety of systems and industries requiring simple control operations, such as chain hoists, dip tanks, monorails, jib cranes, conveyors, and more.
- The Magnetek Telemotive 18K system can be custom designed to the most demanding radio control requirements.
Magnetek Anti Collision Products Improve Safety
Magnetek’s collision avoidance systems can help prevent accidents before they happen, protecting people, the facility, and the cranes. These collision avoidance systems prevent crane-to-crane and crane-to-end stop collisions which increases operator safety and reduces system maintenance.
Magnetek offers three collision avoidance systems that can be applied to all types of overhead cranes or monorails with adjustable frequency drives, soft starters, or contactor controls. Multiple configurations are available so customers can choose the exact functionality, size, and style to fit their application needs. All of Magnetek’s collision avoidance systems are rated IP65 or better. The collision avoidance systems are “fail-safe”, which means that if the sensor would lose power, the motion of the crane would be stopped and restricted.
Collision avoidance systems are increasingly being added to material handling systems as the demand for products that increase workplace safety grows. Collision avoidance systems intervene when necessary to prevent accidents, making the workplace safer and reducing maintenance costs. These systems are a reliable means of preventing human error.
Magnetek Variable Frequency Drive Products improve productivity and extend the life of the crane or hoist
Perhaps no other technological development in the past 40 years has done more to revolutionize overhead crane design than the AC Variable Frequency Drive (VFD).
Today’s Variable Frequency Controls and Flux Vector Motor Controls have become the industry standard for crane control.
AC Variable Frequency Drives provide greater reliability, enhance performance, improve production throughput, prolong equipment life, and reduce maintenance costs, parts, and personnel in a variety of ways, including:
- Reducing the characteristic high starting currents of AC induction motors
- Minimizing the shock effect on both the load and the equipment
- Offering features, such as programmable acceleration and dynamic braking that:
- Produce softer stops and starts
- Assure smooth transitions between speed steps
- Reduce brake wear and required maintenance
- Embedded Anti-Sway control
Magnetek Black Max and Bluemax Motors
The Black Max and Blue Max Motors are replacement motors for OEM Motors that improve the function of the hoisting or travel motion when controlled with Variable Frequency Drives from Magnetek.
The modular design of the Black Max motor consists of a foot-mounted NEMA motor, and a “C” face drive end and accessory “C” face. This design feature shortens delivery time and can be furnished with a variety of options, including encoders and brakes. Capable of a 1000:1 speed range, this motor series is a perfect companion to Magnetek’s Pre-engineered Single Motion Crane Controls.
The Blue Max motor series was designed to Magnetek’s specifications and is ideal for use in any application where precise motion control is needed. Tests have shown that these motors are capable of a 1500:1 speed range when used with our IMPULSE®• VG+ Series 4 flux vector motor control. The Blue Max motor is typically used in hoisting applications where flux vector controls are used with a motor equipped with an encoder.
Magnetek Brake Products
Magnetek offers a wide variety of aftermarket brake solutions that can improve the function of larger overhead cranes and hoists that use external brakes. These general-purpose and mill duty brakes come in both shoe and disc types and can be motor mounted or connected to output shafts from the gearbox.
The AIST rated mill duty brakes are designed for heavy-duty steel mill and other harsh environments and applications which require high integrity products. The advanced design features, combined with fabricated steel construction, makes this range of brakes suitable for applications requiring reliable braking with the minimum of maintenance and downtime.
Applications include steel mills, stacker reclaimers, ship loaders, port cranes, shipyard cranes, offshore drilling rigs, missile assembly cranes, incinerator cranes, and large gantry cranes.
CRANE 1 is a close partner with Magnetek and we can provide our customers with an expert evaluation of the application requirements and suggest the best combination of control technology. We will provide you fast and skilled installation of Magnetek products with highly competitive pricing. Give your local CRANE 1 office a call to get your control enhancement project underway.